There are so many daily word games and clones of websites such as Wordle out there that it can seem impossible to find something original and engaging to add to the roster of daily short word games. Enter Connections, a word association game from The New York Times that challenges players to try something new in the word game genre. This guide explains what Connections is, how to play it, and the answer for each day.
Related: Knotwords Daily Mini Answer – What is Today’s Knotwords Solution?
How to Play Connections
Connections is a word association game that requires players to match four words on a grid of sixteen together into four groups. Players must select the four words they believe fit together, then click the ‘Submit’ button. The game will inform the player if they’re correct by rearranging the words into a colored block at the top of the screen. If, however, the player is incorrect, the words will vibrate, and players will lose one of their four lives. If a player runs out of lives, they’ll fail the game for that day but will still see the answers. Groups of answers are arranged by color according to their difficulty, going from yellow as the easiest through green and blue, then purple as the trickiest. The only place fans can play Connections is the official website via The New York Times.
What is Today’s Connections Answer?
In this section, we’ve got the answer for today’s Connections puzzle (July 22, 2023) and have listed every puzzle we’ve covered in the past week or so in the list below. Players should use the list below to get an idea of what the latest word associations might be, giving them a leg up on the competition in the future.
Connections Answer for October 29, 2023 (#140)
See above for the complete solution to Connections Puzzle #140 for October 29, 2023. This one was so damn easy to solve, we loved playing through it. See below for a list of every group used.
- Group 1 – Group of Offspring: BROOD, CLUTCH, HATCH, LITTER
- Group 2 – Mishmash: HASH, JUMBLE, MEDLEY, STEW
- Group 3 – Go Up Against: CHALLENGE, CONFRONT, FACE, OPPOSE
- Group 4 – Guitar Parts: BODY, BRIDGE, FRET, NECK
Connections Answer for October 28, 2023 (#139)
See above for the complete solution to Connections Puzzle #139 for October 28, 2023. This one was incredibly easy. We managed to guess every group correctly and didn’t get a single one wrong. See below for a list of every group used.
- Group 1 – Senses: SIGHT, SMELL, TASTE, TOUCH
- Group 2 – Agree!: DITTO, LIKEWISE, SAME, SECOND
- Group 3 – Appearance: DRESS, LOOK, MANNER, STYLE
- Group 4 – ___ MOON: BLUE, HARVEST, NEW, SAILOR
Connections Answer for October 27, 2023 (#138)
See above for the complete solution to Connections Puzzle #138 for October 27, 2023. This one was really challenging, but we managed to get half the groups guessed correctly before we had to move on and admit defeat. See below for a list of every group used.
- Group 1 – Metal Elements: COPPER, GOLD, NICKEL, SILVER
- Group 2 – Shameless Boldness: BRASS, CHEEK, GALL, NERVE
- Group 3 – W.N.B.A. Teams: MERCURY, SKY, SPARKS, LIBERTY
- Group 4 – Things With Trunks: CARS, ELEPHANTS, SWIMMERS, TREES
Connections Answer for October 26, 2023 (#137)
See above for the complete solution to Connections Puzzle #137 for October 27, 2023. This one was really challenging and we barely got through it. We didn’t manage to guess a single group correctly. See below for a list of every group used.
- Group 1 – Increase: BUILD, GROW, SWELL, MOUNT
- Group 2 – Excellent in Old Slang: ACES, KEEN, NEATO, NIFTY
- Group 3 – Fine Bubbles: FOAM, FROTH, HEAD, LATHER
- Group 4 – Spherical Things: BUBBLE, GLOBE, MARBLE, PEARL
Connections Answer for October 25, 2023 (#136)
See above for the complete solution to Connections Puzzle #136 for October 25, 2023. This one was half simple, half challenging. We only got half the answers, and we still don’t understand what Simply Syrup is. See below for a list of every group.
- Group 1 – Grammar Tense Terms: FUTURE, PAST, PERFECT, PRESENT
- Group 2 – Gracious Me!: GOODNESS, HEAVENS, LORD, MERCY
- Group 3 – 12 Days of Christmas: DRUMMER, LADY, RING, SWAN
- Group 4 – ___ Syrup: CORN, COUGH, MAPLE, SIMPLE
Connections Answer for October 24, 2023 (#135)
See above for the complete solution to Connections Puzzle #135 for October 24, 2023. This one was really easy. Well, it’s easier than the last seven have been and that’s a massive boon because we’ve been failing for a while. See below for a full list of every group.
- Group 1 – Small Opening: CRANNY, NICHE, NOOK, RECESS
- Group 2 – Animal Groups: COLONY, HERD, PRIDE, SCHOOL
- Group 3 – Paradigmatic: CLASSIC, DEFINITIVE, MODEL, TEXTBOOK
- Group 4 – Rhyming Compound Words: BACKPACK, BIGWIG, DOWNTOWN, RAGTAG
Connections Answer for October 23, 2023 (#134)
See above for the complete solution to Connections Puzzle #134 for October 23, 2023. This one was another really difficult one that we just struggled with every group on. See below for a list of every group used.
- Group 1 – Cell Phone Modes: FOCUS, RING, SILENT, VIBRATE
- Group 2 – Impel: DRIVE, INSPIRE, MOTIVATE, SPUR
- Group 3 – Romantic Beginnings: CONNECTION, FEELINGS, SPARK, VIBE
- Group 4 – Hard ___: CANDY, COPY, KNOCKS, SELTZER
Why is Connections in Beta?
At the time of writing, Connections is in beta on The New York Times website. This means it’s not final and subject to change, though we suspect the formula will remain close to what we’ve explained above. The thing that’s likely to be in beta is the difficulty since the development team will be trying to work out a way to automate the puzzles without them being too easy or too challenging for players.