Last week was an eventful one where major new game releases are concerned, and to no one’s surprise, a few of them have managed to make a strong impression with their initial sales. Super Mario Bros. Wonder, for instance, has not only launched to near-universal acclaim, it’s also enjoyed impressive sales in the UK, Europe, and, according to the latest weekly physical sales data released by Famitsu, in Japan.
The 2D platformer has topped the latest charts with over 638,000 units sold, which, incidentally, also makes it the third-biggest launch a Mario game has ever seen in Japan. It’s a bigger launch than any 3D Mario game (including Super Mario Odyssey, which sold over 462,000 physical units in the region at launch), and ranks behind only New Super Mario Bros. Wii (sold over 935,000 physical units at launch) and the original New Super Mario Bros. for the DS (over 900,000 units).
Meanwhile, Marvel’s Spider-Man 2 (which sold over 2.5 million units worldwide on its first day alone) also enjoyed a solid debut, coming in a second place with over 77,000 units sold, though the sequel’s physical sales in the region have dipped considerably below what the 2018 title managed (over 125,000 physical units sold at launch). The third major release of the week, Sonic Superstars, on the other hand, has seen quite a disappointing beginning, with only its Switch version having debuted in the top 10, coming in at No. 9 with a measly 4,000+ units sold.
On the hardware side of things, the Switch is still leading the way with over 62,000 units sold, while the PS5 follows behind in second place with over 9,000 units sold.
You can check out the full hardware and physical software sales charts for the week ending October 22 below.
- [NSW] Super Mario Bros. Wonder – 638,634 (New)
- [PS5] Marvel’s Spider-Man 2 – 77,348 (New)
- [NSW] The Game of Life for Nintendo Switch – 10,554 (54,264)
- [NSW] Pikmin 4 – 10,208 (922,606)
- [NSW] Mario Kart 8 Deluxe – 5,305 (5,520,260)
- [NSW] Pokemon Scarlet and Violet – 5,260 (5,163,082)
- [NSW] Minecraft – 4,923 (3,291,621)
- [NSW] Detective Pikachu Returns – 4,718 (106,605)
- [NSW] Sonic Superstars – 4,128 (New)
- [NSW] Super Smash Bros. Ultimate – 3,615 (5,308,529)
- Nintendo Switch – 62,250
- PS5 – 9,844
- Xbox Series X/S – 2,748